Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) when renting the Marda Loop Community Hall
Quick Overview: We have two halls, the Upper and Lower Halls. We also have a multi-purpose room, along with two kitchens.
Upper Hall – Big events, lots of room for a large event. Ideal for receptions, large meetings, markets, fundraisers, live music. Carpeted area, big dance floor surface. Big windows, coat room, variety of lighting available, stage risers, washrooms. Direct access to the upper hall kitchen including a window space that functions as a serving window and bar.
Lower Hall – More of an intimate space. Great for smaller parties, workshops, training sessions, club meetings, music/theatre rehearsal and performance. There is a kitchen-type space in the lower hall itself that has serving counters and a large cooler. Coat room, washrooms. Direct access to the lower hall kitchen. Ties in well if renting the volleyball courts or the skating area, which are right outside the lower hall doors.
Multi-Purpose Room – ideal for meetings and training sessions. It is also often utilized as a secondary space when you are using the hall for a market, reception, or anything where a smaller, enclosed space would be of benefit.
Now, onto the questions!
What is the seating capacity of each room?
- Upper Hall : 265 Standing, 220 Seated.
- Lower Hall: 100 Standing, 60 Seated
- Multipurpose Room: 16 Seated with table, 30 Seated with no table.
- These are general guidelines. Capacity can change with custom setup of the room.
What about parking?
- We have a large parking lot that offers free parking. We can also make arrangements to reserve the parking lot for your event if that would be needed. Our dedicated lot can hold about 60 cars and the immediately adjacent city lot next to us can hold about the same. There are two handicapped accessible spots right in front of the hall along with a designated loading zone.
Are there any discounts if I am an MLCA Community Member?
- Yes! You get a 10% discount on any hall rental. We also have a special hourly rate for birthday parties held in the lower hall. You have to be a member for 30 days prior to making your booking.
Is there a discount for my non-profit?
- Yes, we offer a 10% discount on the hall rental charges for any non-profit organization. This is also extended to any memorial service held at our facility.
What is your deposit and cancellation policy?
- To fully hold your booking date, we require a 25% deposit. You will receive your deposit back if you cancel your booking more than 30 days out of your rental. Less than 30 days you forfeit your deposit.
Do you require a damage/security deposit?
- The deposit varies depending on the room booked, the type of event, and the number of attendees. We recommended this deposit is put on a credit card; that is the easiest way to return the deposit after the event. If you leave the deposit via cash, cheque, or debit payment, we can only return it via a cheque, and that can take two-three weeks to get back to you. Any returned deposit is dependent on the condition of the hall after your rental.
What equipment is available for renters to use?
- We have chairs and tables (round, rectangular, cocktail). We have all the ‘tools’ a bartender would need. We have a projector and screen. The upper hall has a sound system, podium, and microphone. There are linens available for rent. The kitchens are full commercial kitchens. There are some utensils available, but more than likely you would need to bring your own gear. We do not rent or provide dishes, cutlery, or serving bowls/trays/etc.
Can we bring in a bouncy castle?
- Yes, but there are height restrictions. The upper hall is 8 feet tall and lower hall is 7 feet tall.
Do you have a kitchen we can use?
- We have two commercial kitchens that have been approved by Alberta Health Services. They are available for rent either with a hall rental or just on their own.
How can we book the space we want?
- Contact Hall Rental at email@example.com to verify available times and price
Who takes care of the setup, takedown, and the cleaning?
- To set things up and take it all down, i.e. tables and chairs and such, you can either do it yourselves or you can have us do it. If you do it yourself, we will show you where everything is and how to put it all back. If you would like us to do it, it’s a $40/hr charge.
- Depending on the event there can be a cleaning charge. A lot of people, full food service, bar…things like that will determine the cleaning charge. We also offer a ‘Just leave it’ cleaning and take down service. When your event is done, you just get up and leave. Cost on that varies for the number of people and type of event.
Can I come and see the hall?
- We would love to have you come in and view the hall! Best to contact us first to confirm a time that the hall is available. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 403-244-5411 ext.1
- You can check out these videos, pictures, and 360 views here:
I need time to setup for my event and to clean up afterwards. Is that included?
- You will have access to the hall for the time you pay to rent it. Be sure to keep in mind any setup and post-event cleaning when booking the time for your rental.
Do I need to get insurance?
- We always recommend you get your own liability insurance but it is optional and up to you. Factor in the type of event, who is attending, and what will be happening. When you sign the rental agreement forms you will be required to acknowledge that you either have or don’t have insurance and that you understand it is your responsibility.
Can I book the Volleyball courts and hockey rinks?
- Yes! The volleyball courts and the boarded hockey rink are both available for rent.
Can I reserve the sport fields and picnic space next to the hall to go with my rental?
- The fields surrounding the hall, including the canopied picnic space, are managed by the City of Calgary. We have no control over booking that space. If you would like to contact them, do an Internet search for ‘city of calgary sport fields rentals and bookings’.
Back to main Hall Rentals Page